Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Online Class: Teaching and Assessing Writing with the 6-Traits


EDUC 744 3 ONLINE graduate credits 

100% Online: June 17 - August 9, 2013



EDUC 744 920 Elem (PK-4) 3 graduate credits
 

EDUC 744 909 Middle School-Adult 3 graduate credits 

Learn to teach and assess writing with the 6-Traits of writing
(voice, ideas, word choice, organization, sentence fluency and conventions). Learn to use the 6-Traits with the writing process to teach revision strategies. Help learners meet higher standards and improve test scores.

What students are saying:

 "I began this course thinking of myself as something of a blank slate with regards to the teaching of writing. I felt that writing was often a hit or miss proposition in my classroom. Today I see that while there are certainly holes in my second grade writing instruction, I'm actually doing more then I thought. I'm not starting from square #1. Today I'm able to categorize and organize what I'm already doing, plus add new things, using the framework of the 6 traits."

"I feel very fortunate to be taking a course like this so early in my teaching career. Someone mentioned to me recently that while there are many great ideas within the 6 trait model, it's easy to slip back into one's old ways of doing things. Perhaps I'm lucky in that I have no old ways to slip back into."

"I've had several important realizations as a result of work we've done these past weeks. The first is the specific connections that I now make between reading and writing. Naturally I was always aware that a connection existed. I knew on some level that reading to my kids was beneficial to their writing development. But too often the reading was undirected and without a plan. Today I have an arsenal of literature with which I can model, discuss, and teach specific traits in a focused way. And I don't have to teach writing alone. I now have the great authors of the world to help me. I can point to a piece of literature and say to my kids, "Take a look at what this author has done. We can do something similar in our own writing."

I've been teaching this course online for almost ten years.  It remains my favorite course because I get to help teachers from around the world transform their thinking about teaching writing.  Join us!  It's a remarkable experience in community, sharing, and new learning! ~ Dennis O'Connor

2 comments:

  1. I like the blog post that made... I want to read more..


    michigan web design

    ReplyDelete
  2. This class is about to launch. We have room for just a few more great teachers.

    Join us this summer; experience a remarkable sharing community of writing teachers working together.

    ReplyDelete