This video workshop from Annenberg Media, helps middle school teachers learn effective practices and strategies for writing instruction. All of the course materials and videos are online and available for free. You can use the contents of the class without formally registering for the class.
From the website:
"Write in the Middle: A Workshop for Middle School Teachers is an eight-part professional development workshop designed to help teachers learn effective practices and strategies to use with middle school students in writing instruction. Through classroom footage of excellent teachers modeling successful strategies and interviews with teachers, students, and nationally recognized experts about the writing process, workshop participants will learn ways to create a positive and productive writing environment for young adolescents."
Free online videos are available:
8 video workshop topics include:
- Workshop 1. Creating a Community of Writers
- Workshop 2. Making Writing Meaningful
- Workshop 3. Teaching Poetry
- Workshop 4. Teaching Persuasive Writing
- Workshop 5. Teaching Multigenre Writing
- Workshop 6. Responding to Writing: Teacher to Student
- Workshop 7. Responding to Writing: Peer to Peer
- Workshop 8. Teaching the Power of Revision